Stephen Ministers walk with those who need a compassionate friend to help them get through a rough patch.
At Holy Martyrs Church, we know that every life has its share of troubles and we feel that no one should “go it alone” during those times. That is why we have commissioned Stephen Ministers to walk with those who need a compassionate friend to help them get through a rough patch.
Stephen Ministers are members of our parish who are specially trained to provide emotional and spiritual support to people who are experiencing challenges in life – grief, loneliness, divorce, health issues, job loss, and many other difficulties.
Our pastor is still available during times of crisis, but there is always a greater need for support than the parish staff can effectively manage. To extend the parish’s reach to those in need, parishioners who feel the call to helping ministry receive training to extend the care that our church can provide to our community.
To learn how you can receive confidential care from a Stephen Minister, contact Janet Payton at 330-722-6633.
To learn more about Stephen Ministry check out this video.
Stephen Ministers care for people facing tough times:
- Loss of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual crisis
- Unemployment or a job crisis
- Terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage, infertility
- Chronic illness
- Recovery after an accident or disaster
- Many other life challenges
A Stephen Minister is:
- An individual who walks beside someone who is hurting
- A parishioner who is carefully selected to serve in this role because of his or her caregiving gifts
- A layperson with 50 hours of training in providing high-quality Christian care
- A caring friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages
- Someone who faithfully meets each week with his or her care receiver for as long as needed